Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Week 2

In my reading class, Read 056, we do a lot of reading of chapter books and many other things. Reading has always been a problem for me. I really never read in my own free time and I never really read when we had to in high school. So practice in reading was never really done for me. Now that I’m a freshman in college I see that reading is done all the time especially in a reading class. So whether or not I like it I’m always reading. The reason I have problems in reading is because I always have my mind somewhere else. Half way through the page I loose focus and don’t remember anything I read which causes misunderstanding throughout the whole story. That’s the reason I don’t do it on my free time. The only time this happens is when I read something I’m really interested in, that’s when I find myself really paying attention. My family isn’t much of a reader either so that’s probably why I struggle. Growing up as a kid the only person that has ever really pushed me to read was my grandpa but other then that no one ever really pushed me to read. Its either I read or I didn’t. I don’t really remember my parents reading to me either when I was little. I never had reading done in my house when I was younger which is why I struggle now. I’m a pretty good reader when I want to be but when I’m not interested in it I have trouble.

2 comments:

  1. I have the same problem just as you, I lose focus of what I'm reading. Like I'll read the first 5 sentences and then ill start daydreaming and lose where we are at. And you're also right no matter how much we complain about not liking to read, it's always going to be around. So I suggest we both start whining about reading and just do it to become better readers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you, im not much i wasn't much of an everyday reader as well. I also only read when the topic really interested me as well. I can also relate how you are feeling about being a freshman and college and having so much reading to do. We should keep working and become great readers.

    ReplyDelete